Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Stand up and bow down?

I was listening on the radio today coming home and I heard the DJ give advice to people who tend to be more shy. She was explaining how to sound and appear more confident and authoritative. One piece of advise she said was to talk stand up while you are talking on the phone. You will feel more powerful and confident and people will hear it in your voice as well.

This got me thinking tonight while I was saying my prayers. I know I shouldn't be thinking about what the DJ said when I was praying. But it makes a good point. When I am standing up I do feel more in control of the situation. When I am sitting down I tend to listen more. When I am lying down I tend chase rabbits with my thoughts. And finally, when I am bowing down with my face to the ground I feel very humble and vulnerable.

I feel like too often I take it too lightly how I enter the presence of the Lord. I would say that I pray often through out the day. I believe it is a great thing knowing the Lord is a close friend and lover and I speak to him just in a casual conversation as I walk, drive and lay in bed. What a blessing that I am able to go before God and boldly ask for help, but today I was reminded how I need to also exercise bowing down to the King and remembering just whose presence I am entering into when I pray to God. I need acknowledging the High Priest/King of Kings/Ruler of everything/Maker of Heaven and Earth with my body in humble posture as I communicate more often.

"Come, Let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker;" Psalms 95:6

No comments:

Post a Comment