Sunday, July 3, 2011

Discipline shows love?

Having a child has shown me so much of my relationship with Lord. I don't think there is a day that goes by that I am not humbled by the Lord from my relationship with Jackson.

I keep noticing that after I discipline Jackson that he feels more compelled to be closer to me. I can give him a spanking and he will look at me with tears and then hold his arms up high for me to hold him. That has seemed so strange to me as an adult. If someone disciplines me the last thing I want to do is sit in their lap and be around them more. But I have forgotten the heart of disciplines. Especially from the Lord.

It just reminds me how a child sees and understand the Lord's way in a much simpler and perfect way than we do as adults.

Hebrew 12:5-6
"And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as his children. He said, my child don't make light of the Lord's discipline, and don't give up when he corrects you. For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes each one he accepts as his child."


What an amazing reminded that our Lord sees and loves us as His children. I am challenged by my son that the next time the Lord disciplines me not to run, but to hold up my arm and sit in His lap. Many days I think I am suppose to be teaching Jackson, it ends up he teaches me more.

2 comments:

  1. This is sooo true. I think about this often when I discipline Simey and then he runs and buries his head in my leg so that I can love on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what does it mean if I used to hold my breath until I passed out before a spanking or I would beg for a hug and kiss just once more before I was disciplined.

    Guess I have always wanted to be close to the Lord when He would reprimand me!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete